From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:59:57
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > It may be that this is already sorted on the gnome side, or that all this
4 > talk of gnome-os is simply hot-air, but like I said, I'm a kde user, so I
5 > wouldn't know, tho I'm concerned about its implications for the rest of
6 > us (including kde, since it might well end up with similar
7 > requirements). And I've not yet seen it mentioned in the gentoo
8 > implications context, so I'm compelled to ask.
11 I too am a bit concerned with some of the trends here. I recently installed
12 Ubuntu to see how it handles suspend-to-disk and compare Gentoo's support
13 (believe it or not it worked more reliably on my Gentoo install!). However,
14 what struck me is messages like my VM didn't meet the requirements for unity
15 so it was falling back to classic gnome, and that got me thinking.
16
17 I'm seeing a bit of a trend in the linux world towards major distros and
18 desktop environments building these huge highly integrated platforms.
19 Instead of having core modules that everybody shares and clear interfaces,
20 everybody wants to build their own SysVInit replacement, their own audio
21 system, their own window managers, their own web browsers, and so on. With
22 Wayland on the horizon we're talking about having multiple X11
23 implementations/replacements possibly.
24
25 Granted, KDE/Gnome have been doing this sort of thing for a while with
26 arts/etc. However, if arts wasn't working right it didn't really keep you
27 from getting stuff done (unless you are mixing audio for a living).
28
29 I'm a bit concerned that the future of linux on the desktop is going to be
30 one where your choices are things like Android, ChromeOS, Ubuntu, Gnome OS,
31 or a "KDE OS." Each one would have its own package managers, repositories,
32 distros, APIs, etc. Clearly there is some benefit from the vertical
33 integration (Android and ChromeOS have a very high level of polish, and
34 Ubuntu is approaching this often by just writing their own stuff). Instead
35 of working to influence other projects (which can be frustrating), big
36 distros are looking to just eliminate dependencies outside of themselves.
37
38 This will be a big challenge for a smaller distro like Gentoo. Obviously we
39 can't just go write our own Wayland replacement, even if we did essentially
40 make our own "systemd" of sorts.
41
42 Rich