From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:09:15
1 On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:48:42 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 19:30:02 +0200
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:04:35 +0100
7 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:55:45 +0200
9 > > > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
10 > > > > The guarantee comes from the fact that the output is always in
11 > > > > the space of all possible inputs from the user. So, if some
12 > > > > output will kill a kitten, so does some input.
13 > > >
14 > > > USE=minimal
15 > > > USE=mips
16 > > > USE=-ssl
17 > > >
18 > >
19 > > So what?
20 >
21 > So, if the aim of this solution is to make things better for the user,
22 > what are you doing to establish that this will make things better for
23 > the user instead of recommending something awful?
26 Considering that the way you write REQUIRED_USE defines how the solver
27 behaves, your problem is ill defined.
28
29 If I try to ask my crystal ball, I would say: USE=mips is either masked
30 or forced so never an option. Developer would not want USE=minimal to
31 be toggled randomly so would write a constraint so that it always
32 appears e.g. on the left part of an implication.