From: Mitchell Smith <mjs@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] modified gentoo ISO with speakup
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:54:20
1 Hi list,
2
3 I have created a modified version of the latest Gentoo ISO with speakup
4 support compiled in.
5
6 Just as a bit of background, speakup is a kernel module which compiles in to
7 2.4 series kernels and provides speech output for users who are blind. It
8 does this by sending text that is sent to the screen to a speech synthesizer
9 either connected to a serial port, or as a PCI / ISA card which basically
10 emulates a serial port anyway.
11
12 You can get more information about the speakup patches at
13 www.linux-speakup.org
14
15 What I was thinking, is it would be extremely cool if we could get this
16 included as part of the standard installation images.
17
18 You can compile speakup into a kernel and the system will still run
19 perfectly fine with out speech hardware attached. you need to activate the
20 speech hardware by passing a few kernel parameters at boot time like
21
22 speakup_synth=ltlk
23
24 Would it be terribly difficult to get this included in the standard distrib?
25
26 I would be more than happy to help to achieve this, if it is possible.
27
28 At the moment only RedHat 8.0 supports speakup out of the box, all of the
29 other distributions, slackware, Debian, etc require that you use modified
30 install disks to be able to install the system. It would be great to have
31 an alternative to the dreaded RedHat for those of us who use the speakup
32 system.
33
34 Feedback or questions would be most welcome.
35
36 >From Mitchell
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list