From: Ole Markus With <olemarkus@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Using use.stable.mask
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:10:58
1 Hi,
2
3 It seems to be a pattern now to mask the language "target" USE flags
4 for unstable versions, such as python_targets_python3_3 and
5 php_targets_php5-5.
6
7 This is very handy since e.g I do not need two revisions of
8 dev-php/xdebug:
9 - one that can be stabilised, supporting stable php5.3 and php5.4and
10 one supporting
11 - one that cannot be stabilised supporting also php5.5
12
13 However, now the time has come for php5.5 to be stabilised, and all is
14 working great except that I cannot remove php_targets_php5-5 from
15 use.stable.mask until all arches have stabilised php. For those arches
16 with stable php5.5, confusion arise when they see that they cannot
17 enable php5.5 for any ebuilds without first adding them to ~arch.
18
19 This have led to bug 481532 as well as comments in stabilisation req
22 A part of the problem is that x86 and amd64 is stabilised fairly
23 quickly after filing the stabilisation bug, while for the other arches
24 it often takes some more time. I suppose the problem could have been
25 mitigated by each arch team stating it can be stabilised in the bug,
26 and then do the actual keywordking at the same time.
27
28 Does anyone have any idea how to handle this issue?
31 Ole Markus