From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:51:05
1 Hello everybody,
2
3 I have already said this before, but it looks like nobody cared. We have
4 a problem for what concerns Gentoo-generated distfiles.
5
6 This includes custom snapshots, custom packages, patches, patchsets, and
7 so on so forth. While it was infra that (back when I joined at least)
8 asked not to use dev.gentoo.org for hosting said fails and rather prefer
9 to use mirror://gentoo/, they already stated that it's not a problem to
10 do so until we have a proper system in place (system that has been
11 considered and worked on for quite a bit already and yet is not
12 available).
13
14 Unfortunately, as long as the mirror://gentoo/ option is still
15 maintained, we'll end up with situations like today's gnuconfig that
16 couldn't be fetched, causing all ~arch users to see the same failure,
17 because the distfile wasn't uploaded to the staging area. Of course the
18 same could happen with a stable SRC_URI, but then it would fail after
19 hitting that, rather than going through half the gentoo mirrors trying
20 to find a file that is not there.
21
22 So, anybody has reasons beside laziness, or concern for infra's disk
23 usage (that argument is allowed to come only from infra members!), to
24 not go this route?
27 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
28 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/