From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: hwoarang@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/umurmur: metadata.xml ChangeLog
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:35:41
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:11:41 +0000
5 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > I feel that this thread is a sign that
8 > there is a problem on how the new QA communicates problems with the
9 > developers that cause them.
10
11 This thread can also be perceived as the results of intentionally
12 introducing and reintroducing a repoman warning; while some will read
13 this as an accusation, others read this as a regression. And while you
14 mention us, we're not alone in this happening; but let's not blame...
15
16 There are always two sides to this, and we should focus on neither.
17
18 Two problems can be seen here, both are very clear; the first is a
19 repoman warning (which is QA communication), the second are multiple
20 reverts. The former has been communicated before this ML thread by
21 Patrick; the latter has been communicated in my very first answer, which
22 package.use.mask solution has been implemented later by Lars.
23
24 > I read the entire thread and I still don't
25 > think there is an agreement on who broke the tree and why.
26
27 The discussion is based on some questions that are hard to agree on:
28
29 1. How much of a problem is an unused USE flag in metadata.xml?
30
31 2. Should such repoman warnings be fixed? By whom? When? How?
32
33 3. Can USE flags actually be removed from stable ebuilds?
34
35 4. ...
36
37 Because this can yield quite some bike-shedding; the alternative "out of
38 the box thinking" package.use.mask solution satisfies both parties,
39 which renders that discussion unnecessary. Nobody has objected this.
40
41 > Would a
42 > private discussion be better before going publicly with accusations?
43
44 Yes, people can join #gentoo-qa or mail us and we're happy to discuss.
45
46 - --
47 With kind regards,
48
49 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
50 Gentoo Developer
51
52 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
53 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
54 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D