From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 14:20:33
1 On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> It appears that devs will have to add the remote for the live
4 >> repository after they've cloned the bundle - otherwise they'll just
5 >> keep pulling from the bundle which isn't all that convenient.
6 >
7 > I think you still misunderstand. As I understand Robin, we wouldn't
8 > even offer up a clone of the full-history bundle, it would only be
9 > offered as a normal download. The default workflow is cloning from the
10 > shallow version, which will obviously give you the desired remote.
11
12 I wasn't talking about full-history.
13
14 I was talking about the fact that we're distributing a bundle. If you
15 clone a bundle, you won't have a remote for the live repository. You
16 would need to add it, unless you plan to never push a commit back to
17 the gentoo repository, and you plan to manually download bundles
18 anytime you want to update your local repository.
19
20 I'm not sure how exactly Robin was planning on making the full history
21 available, but it sounded like it would also be distributed as a
22 bundle. That means that you can certainly clone it - just type git
23 clone path-to-locally-saved-bundle-file . If it is in some other
24 format like a pack file then you would import it into a repository via
25 a different command.
26
27 Rich