From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New ebuild metadata to mark how robust the package is?
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:50:06
1 On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:29:00 -0000 (UTC)
2 "Daniel Bradshaw" <daniel@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > It occurs to me that my work flow when doing updates follows a fairly
7 > predictable (and probably common) pattern.
8 > The obvious next step is to wonder why no one though of automating it...
9 >
10 > When doing updates I tend to look through the package list and classify
11 > things based on how likely they are to break.
12 > Some packages, like findutils, are pretty robust and generally just get on
13 > with working.
14 > Other packages, like apache and ssh, need are more fragile and need plenty
15 > of configuration.
16 >
17 > Packages from the second group want emerging on their own, or in small
18 > groups, the better to keep an eye out for notices about things that might
19 > break, to update configs, and to check that they're running happily.
20 >
21 > Once the update list is reduced to packages from the first group it's
22 > fairly safe to run emerge -u world and not worry about things exploding
23 > too badly.
26 > So as I say, it occurs to me that most people probably follow some
27 > variation of this selective upgrade method.
28 > It might be handy to have some kind of metadata in the ebuilds that can be
29 > used to indicate a package that is "demanding".
30 > Then that flag could be used to highlight the package on a dep tree, or
31 > optionally to block the emerge unless the package is specified explicitly.
32 >
33 > `emerge -vaut @safe` would be kinda useful.
34 >
35 > Just a thought.
36
37 As Jeremy said this is really subjective. I think what might be a more
38 reasonable thing to ask for is a way to mark particular upgrades as
39 potentially troublesome. Personally I just alias e='emerge -avl' and pay
40 attention to the changelogs.
44 fonts, Character is what you are in the dark.
45 gcc-porting,
46 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662