From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:51:54
1 On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 02:58:04PM +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 16.7.2022 14.24, Florian Schmaus wrote:
3 > >
4 > > That reads as if you wrote it under the assumption that we can only
5 > > either use dependency tarballs or use EGO_SUM. At the same time, I have
6 > > not seen an argument why we can not simply do *both*.
7 > >
8 > > EGO_SUM has numerous advantages over dependency tarballs, but can not be
9 > > used if the size of the EGO_SUM value crosses a threshold. So why not
10 > > mandate dependency tarballs if a point is crossed and otherwise allow
11 > > EGO_SUM? That way, we could have the best of both worlds.
12 > >
13 > > - Flow
16 > ++ this sounds most sensible. This is also how I've understood your
17 > proposal.
18
19 Remember that with EGO_SUM all of the bloated manifests and ebuilds are
20 on every user's system.
21
22 I added mgorny as a cc to this message because he made it pretty clear
23 at some point in the previous discussion that the size of these ebuilds
24 and manifests is unacceptable.
25
26 William