From: Jon Lech Johansen <jon@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:10:04
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 09:44:54PM +0200, Tony Clark (tclark@×××××.com) wrote:
> > Copyrighted works which do not include a license are still protected by > > copyright law, and redistributing said works would be copyright > > infringement. > Which town, state, country, continent are you talking about?
I am talking about most of WIPO's member states [1]. Requiring copyright notices is not allowed under the Berne convention [2]. Many of the win32 codecs in question contain copyright notices where one would expect to find them: in the PE header.
There is no gentoo-legal. I would consider it off-topic if there was a more appropriate gentoo list for this discussion, or if official Gentoo policy is to ignore copyright issues. [1] http://www.wipo.org/members/members/index.html [2] http://www.wipo.int/treaties/ip/berne/index.html Leaving the legal issue aside for a moment, there is still a technical issue. How about a "css" USE keyword for closed source software? -- Jon Lech Johansen jon@××××××××××.org nanocrew.net/blog/ Stat sua cuique dies, breve et inreparabile tempus omnibus est vitae; sed famam extendere factis, hoc virtutis opus. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list