From: Jon Lech Johansen <jon@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:10:04
1 On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 09:44:54PM +0200, Tony Clark (tclark@×××××.com) wrote:
2 > > Copyrighted works which do not include a license are still protected by
3 > > copyright law, and redistributing said works would be copyright
4 > > infringement.
5 > Which town, state, country, continent are you talking about?
6
7 I am talking about most of WIPO's member states [1]. Requiring copyright
8 notices is not allowed under the Berne convention [2].
9
10 Many of the win32 codecs in question contain copyright notices where one
11 would expect to find them: in the PE header.
12
13 > This is really off-topic on a technical list like gentoo-dev
14
15 There is no gentoo-legal. I would consider it off-topic if there was a
16 more appropriate gentoo list for this discussion, or if official Gentoo
17 policy is to ignore copyright issues.
18
19 [1] http://www.wipo.org/members/members/index.html
20 [2] http://www.wipo.int/treaties/ip/berne/index.html
21
22 Leaving the legal issue aside for a moment, there is still a technical
23 issue.
24
25 How about a "css" USE keyword for closed source software?
28 Jon Lech Johansen
29 jon@××××××××××.org
30 nanocrew.net/blog/
31
32 Stat sua cuique dies, breve et inreparabile tempus
33 omnibus est vitae; sed famam extendere factis,
34 hoc virtutis opus.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list