From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: profiles/arches.desc - improve repoman flexibility (with other benefits)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 07:57:23
1 >>>>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 >> > When you say "arch" you actually mean a keyword as per GLEP-53[1]
4 >> > right?
5 >>
6 >> Which doesn't agree with actual usage in the tree, though.
7
8 > That surprises me. Do you have an example of that?
9
10 The GLEP says about the OS suffix:
11
12 "The right hand part indicates the operating system or distribution,
13 such as linux, macos, solaris or fbsd. If the right hand part is
14 omitted, it implies the operating system/distribution type is
15 GNU/Linux."
16
17 So if I understand this correctly, x86-linux should be equivalent to
18 x86. But in reality, the linux suffix denotes that it is a prefix
19 arch. I'm not saying that this is bad, only it's not what the GLEP
20 says.
21
22 Until recently there was also x64-freebsd vs amd64-fbsd, where both
23 the arch and the OS part denoted the same, but used different tokens
24 to distinguish between prefix and non-prefix. (And I don't understand
25 why amd64 is called x64 on prefix. A different OS suffix should be
26 sufficient.)
27
28 Ulrich
29