From: Alec Berryman <alec@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:13:36
On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 17:33, Derek J. Belrose wrote:
> Well the X install is in the future it seems. I think gentoo would > benefit from a cli install/package manager more than it currently has.
<snip>
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=275364#275364 Yesterday "optilude" posted a "fast and flexible curses ebuild browser" to the Gentoo Forums. Requiring only bash and dialog, it would easily fit onto the traditionally minimal Gentoo install CD and alongside ufed and mirrorselect. More importantly, because it works directly through emerge (emerge `ebb` is the suggested invocation), using this ebuild browser would preserve flexibility in the Gentoo install: for those who would prefer to stick with the traditional emerge command-line interface, this browser would not interfere with complete control over emerge, but for those who do want the browser it is easily accessible. Give it a shot. -- Alec Berryman <alec@×××××××××.org>