From: lude <lude@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IBM Visual Age Java / Websphere
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:20:42
1 On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:18:33AM -0700, Wayne Vovil wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I have decided to get off the Distro merry-go-round and use Gentoo instead. However, as a novice with Gentoo and Portage, how do I go about installing a proprietary product such as the above two (in the subject line). I know how to do it in Red Hat; but do I have to wait for an ebuild script or just go ahead and do a 'non-Gentoo-Portageless' install?
5 >
6 > Also I am keen to get involved in Gentoo development....
7 >
8 > cheers
9 >
10 > Wayne
11
12 You don't need to install via ebuilds, they're just there to make life easy. You can still install things the old fashioned way, or in the case of closed-source software, just go about the install as usual.
13
14 Regards,
15
16 David O.