From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:25:12
1 >>>>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > - If Gentoo adds an acct-user/foo user, and that user already exists
4 > on my system with the wrong UID: the eclass dies[0].
5
6 I don't think that's correct. The eclass will just use the already
7 existing UID then (except for the very few acct-user packages that
8 define ACCT_USER_ENFORCE_ID).
9
10 > - If Gentoo adds an acct-user/foo user, with uid=12345, and that uid
11 > is assigned to a user on my system already, the eclass dies.
12
13 Similar to above, the eclass will dynamically allocate another UID that
14 is free.
15
16 > - Some environments are very old, and so real users have unexpected
17 > uids; this includes Gentoo itself.
18 > - Gentoo (the community) used to allocate UIDs to devs in the
19 > 500-1000 range and we have 17 active developers with UIDs in that
20 > range. So for example if we allocate one of these UIDs to an acct-*
21 > package; that package will not be installable on woodpecker without
22 > modification because those UIDs are already taken.
23
24 See above.
25
26 Also, why would one allocate UIDs in the 500..999 range (1000 is fine,
27 actually)? Gentoo always had UID_MIN=1000 and SYS_UID_MAX=999.
28
29 Ulrich