From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES="stricter" as a default in developer profile not the best idea
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 00:43:45
1 TLDR: Let's remove FEATURES="stricter" from developer profile, I bet
2 most people have it disabled anyway and it doesn't seem useful.
3
4 I recently started more testing in one of my stable chroots, and I
5 switched it to the developer profile. During the update the following
6 error happened:
7
8 > * QA Notice: Package has poor programming practices which may compile
9 > * fine but exhibit random runtime failures.
10 > * gam_listener.c:101: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_exclude_check'
11 > * gam_server.c:624: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_error_init'
12 > * gam_connection.c:402: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_exclude_check'
13 > * gam_inotify.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of function 'gam_poll_basic_init'
14 >
15 > * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
16 > * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
17 > * Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/
18 > * ERROR: app-admin/gam-server-0.1.10 failed:
19 > * install aborted due to poor programming practices shown above
20 > *
21 > * Call stack:
22 > * misc-functions.sh, line 992: Called install_qa_check
23 > * misc-functions.sh, line 688: Called die
24 > * The specific snippet of code:
25 > * has stricter ${FEATURES} && die "install aborted due to" \
26
27 Which is of course for a package I'm not a developer of. It seems to me
28 that any people who use the developer profile productively have already
29 disabled FEATURES="stricter". In fact, I've done so in my development VM.
30
31 I suggest that we remove FEATURES="stricter" from developer profile's
32 defaults.
33
34 /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
35 multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
36 userpriv usersandbox"
37
38 An alternative solution would be to make misc-functions.sh not bail out
39 on errors beyond control of most people, but that's an order of
40 magnitude more complicated.
41
42 Thoughts?