From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:39:25
On Saturday 23 September 2006 10:24, Alin Nastac wrote:
> I see only libraries in NEEDED and it is probably generated > automatically. There is no way for the automatic tools to discover the > dependency between pptpd and ppp version.
that gets back to ABI versus dynamic plugins ... we already know we'll need a new DEPEND to track dlopen-ed plugins
> Besides, even if I would have somehow /usr/lib/ppp/2.4.3 in NEEDED file > of the pptpd, the amount of computation needed to discover which package > offers such thing would be prohibitive. The reciprocal operation (find > which packages use the old path before upgrade) would also be prohibitive.
no it wouldnt ... when you merge a package, you record all the SONAME's it provides: scanelf -qRS "${D}" > SONAME in fact, running `scanelf -qlpRS` doesnt take that long on my machine -mike