From: Peter <sw98234@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Delay in approval of new developers
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:39:12
1 On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:15:14 +0200, Jochen Maes wrote:
2
3 snip...
4
5 >> glad you were an exception.
8 > glad i never knew you when i was a gentoo dev... I know one thing, you
9 > won't ever get a hump out of me!
10
11 You're arguing a different point. I was commenting on the time delay, and
12 you responded with how difficult it is to be a recruiter. If the delay is
13 long then there is a problem. If you run a business and you want to hire
14 someone, yet you wait and wait and wait, it's quite possible the recruit
15 may accept another position. That's a loss to you. Same with potential
16 gentoo developers. When someone goes through the trouble to complete
17 tests, work with his/her mentor, spend time on bz, etc., the least they
18 can expect is courteous response when they choose to become a dev.
19 Perusing through recruitment bugs, you can see long lapses. It IS
20 inexcusable.
21
22 Yes, everyone does gentoo voluntarily, but that does not mean less should
23 be expected. It reminds me of the time my 5 year old cousin sadly was in
24 the hospital, and the nurse needed to take yet another blood sample. The
25 nurse said "I'm sorry I have to take blood again. I don't like to hurt
26 little boys." To which my very sharp cousin replied, "So, why are you in
27 this business?"
28
29 If a gentoo dev joins a particular project to perform a particular task,
30 he/she IS making a commitment to it. The dev should have known in advance
31 what's expected and the time required. AFAIK recruiters are hardly
32 overworked. There is no overfull pipeline of dev recruits banging on the
33 doors.
34
35 Simple courtesy requires they handle recruiting bugs quickly and
36 efficiently with either a Welcome or a thumbs down. Dragging the
37 recruitment out only makes it harder to get new recruits. They are, in
38 effect, working against themselves and their own goal.
39
40 > glad i never knew you when i was a gentoo dev
41
42 I have been recruited 3 times to be a dev, and declined. I find the gentoo
43 hierarchy and organization stifling and the amount of roadblocks to
44 progress ridiculous.
45
46 I appreciate your POV. Yes, you can't expect too much from volunteers.
47 But, in a worldwide linux distribution, which is run more or less like a
48 business, there is a higher standard that should be adhered to. I don't
49 accept slackers or inefficiency in my business, and nor should gentoo.
50
51 Why are you no longer a gentoo-dev, btw?
54 Peter
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list