From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:47:30
1 Hi,
2
3 On 6/28/06, Mivz <mivz@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I have just read the following story, which scared me a bit:
7 >
8 > http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/23/1728205&tid=150
9 >
10 > Does this obligation, to provide your own source, also count for a none
11 > Gentoo developer making a overlay tree for one of his projects which is
12 > licensed under de GPL-2? Because that is a derived distro form Gentoo
13 > right?
14 > Would that mean that, if u write software using the portage system, that
15 > every package that is used by one of your own should be available from a
16 > server of your own?
17 > If, the developer should also provide it's own file server with all
18 > those packages, this would cause that every developer that wanted to
19 > make a overlay should be a Gentoo file mirror?
20 >
21 > Do my senses run wilde? Your just my imagination?
22 > Do I understand this right?
23 >
24 > Mivz
25
26 Questions on how the law affects Gentoo are best put to the Gentoo
27 Trustees, who have access to our lawyers. They're the only people who
28 should be commenting on legal stuff like this.
29
30 Best regards,
31 Stu
32 --