From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.9 obsolescence warning / Python 3.10 porting request
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:47:40
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 This is the formal reminder to work on porting your packages
4 to Python 3.10. According to the timeline announced earlier, we'd like
5 to switch the default interpreter to Python 3.10 in July.
6
7 As usual, there are a few porting tips in the Python Guide [1].
8 However, there weren't many this time. If you hit any specific issues
9 and feel like they should be mentioned there, please let me know
10 and I'll document them.
11
12 As usual, qa-reports hosts list of packages pending py3.10 support
13 in text [2] and SVG graph [3] forms.
14
15 There are also a few packages pending py3.9 support still [4,5]. While
16 we're not aiming at py3.8 removal anytime soon, it'd be nice to get them
17 out of the way (except for the backports).
18
19 Finally, PyPy upstream has release PyPy3.9 7.3.8rc1 (i.e. Python 3.9
20 compatible version, considered alpha right now). Right now it has
21 multiple issues but there's a good chance that 7.3.8 final will be
22 usable. I've pushed it unkeyworded; feel free to test it but not sure
23 that some packages are broken (dev-python/lxml in particular). Still,
24 if you want to help out, the milestone for tracking bugs is at [6].
25
26 [1] https://projects.gentoo.org/python/guide/porting.html#python-3-10
27 [2] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/39-to-310.txt
28 [3] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/39-to-310.svg