From: Gavin <gavin@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New drivers category in portage (Was[gentoo-dev] macos mess)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 02:49:58
1 Ok, if I define /usr/portage/<categories> as a set of categorized ebuilds for various software "packages", then I can define "dimensions" as abstract groupings of existing Gentoo portage "<categories>". Using this terminology, for the purposes of my prior suggestion/question regarding filtering out the "bloat" (unnecessary bandwidth consumed) during an "emerge sync", I further define the following as descriptions of candidate "dimensions":
2
3 o TYPE, as in "drivers-${TYPE}"
4 o "<categories>"
5 o requires X
6 o requires KDE
7 o requires Gnome
8 o requires "platform"
9 o requires a specific type of kernel (e.g. linux, freebsd, openbsd), or subtype (e.g. linux/mm)
10 .
11 .
12 o many other possibilities
13
14 I'm primarily interested in using Gentoo as a server platform. Large portions of the portage tree might be irrelevant to those with various specialized purposes. My hypothesis centers around the idea that "<categories>" form an inadequate set of "dimensions" by which users might utilize as criteria for exclusion during "emerge sync". Furthermore, as more "<categories>" and ebuilds are added, the manual effort required to update a RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM list rises along with the bandwidth consumed.
15
16 Cheers,
17 Gavin
18
19 ----- Original Message -----
20 From: "Donnie Berkholz" <spyderous@g.o>
21 To: <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
22 Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 6:57 PM
23 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New drivers category in portage (Was[gentoo-dev] macos mess)
24