From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] colon separated variables in /etc/env.d/
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:47:35
1 Am Montag, 11. September 2006 03:44 schrieb Zac Medico:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Portage currently has two hard-coded lists of variables that control
5 > the behavior of env-update.
6 The same applies to eselect env.
7
8 > I'd like to make these variables
9 > configurable so that package maintainers have direct control over
10 > them. The variables break down into two basic types: colon
11 > separated and space separated.
12 Wrong, there is another type of var, namely those which are not
13 cummultative(sp?).
14
15 > What is the best way to propagate information about these two
16 > variable types? For example, we can have a list of variable names
17 > stored in a new variable called "COLON_SEPARATED" that will reside
18 > in either the profiles or /etc/env.d/ itself. Variable names not
19 > listed in COLON_SEPARATED can be assumed to be space separated.
20 > Does anyone have any ideas to share about how this information
21 > should be propagated?
22 a) You'd need two variables to store that info, as we have 3 classes
23 of envvars.
24 b) This is in no way related to the package tree. Those vars don't
25 magically change their class from colon separated to non
26 cummultative. I'd like to keep it hardcoded, as loading of such
27 variables can go wrong and you'd end up without a working env tool.
28
29 Danny
30 --
31 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
32 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list