From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: Replacement for versionator.eclass in PMS (for EAPI 7?)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 11:03:51
1 On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 22:14:39 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As you may know, we intend to move the functionality of
5 > versionator.eclass to the package manager, possibly in EAPI 7.
6 > The following is what mgorny and myself have come up with, see
7 > bug 482170 [1], especially comments 15 and 16 there.
8 >
9 > Currently there are 15 functions defined in that eclass, and we
10 > believe that it will not be feasible to implement all of them.
11 > However, several of the functions are similar to each other and can
12 > be combined. Two of them, namely get_version_component_range() and
13 > replace_version_separator(), account for the vast majority of what
14 > is used by ebuilds.
15 >
16 > We therefore think that the following three functions would be
17 > sufficient to cover all ebuilds' needs:
18
19 What's the point, need or advantage in moving this to all-ebuild-scope?
20
21 Usually eclass refactor/api cleanup are done in a -r{n+1} while
22 deprecating -rn. This would have the advantage that you can quickly
23 post a complete implementation and get wider reviews.