From: Cory Visi <merlin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Invitation for discussion
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 02:26:38
1 On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:15:35PM -0400, Lina Pezzella wrote:
2 > Two topics:
3 >
4 > 1) possibility of creating a 'carbon' use flag
5 > 2) creation of a baselayout virtual.
6 >
7 > Currently, the baselayout package is fairly linux-specific. It does
8 > contain files such as runscript.sh, that are needed for projects such as
9 > MacOS and BSD. The suggestion here is to create a baselayout virtual so
10 > that we can keep separate baselayout packages.
11 >
12 > Any input/suggestions on these two subjects would be greatly appreciated.
13
14 I'd like to see baselayout and rc-scripts separated. This would at least
15 address the runscript.sh issue. Secondly, the rc-scripts doesn't need to
16 married to the baselayout. Separating sysvinit from baselayout is another
17 good step, which has happened already. In order to get rc-scripts
18 separated, we probably need to separate the basic config files in /etc
19 (not /etc/init.d or /etc/conf.d) and package them with baselayout.
20
21 Would this eliminate the need for a baselayout virtual?
22
23 -Cory
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list