From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:11:18
1 On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:51:34 +0200
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:46:31 Petteri Räty wrote:
6 > >> Normally old versions are not kept around as already said if you
7 > >> read the thread.
8 > >
9 > > "normal" is not the same thing as "always". unless you're the
10 > > maintainer, you have no idea whether old versions are kept there on
11 > > purpose. ive had people delete older versions of packages on me
12 > > simply because they made this invalid assumption without talking to
13 > > the maintainer. the rest of the thread is irrelevant as this point
14 > > was not made.
17 > Yes I have no idea. That's why I asked on gentoo-dev-announce for
18 > maintainers to tell me if they are kept on purpose so the point was
19 > made already at the very start.
22 Still, it has already been stated but: please file bugs! A big tracker
23 would probably be messy, one bug / herd or category could be better.
24 You did file some bugs at some point, where I was in the assigned herd
25 and did proceed quickly I think. Why did you stop? Some were just
26 straight removal, some did need some other removal in order to be clean
27 (this may be due to the fact that packages didnt work with latest
28 versions but didn't have restricted deps on the package that would have
29 to be removed).
30
31 I am not following -dev very carefully and am too lazy to dig in a list
32 posted on -dev-announce to find out if I need to do something or not. A
33 bug makes that easy to track and is the usual way of getting ebuild
34 changes done in the tree. We rant on users who report bugs on -dev, I'm
35 afraid the the same applies to developers :)
38 Also, remark that your script is flawed, I see some freebsd stuff in
39 your list which are certainly the best visible version on some
40 profiles. Again, this will be better tracked in a bug.
43 Alexis.