From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 15:33:26
1 On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
2 > Can we keep the master on Gentoo hardware please.
3 >
4 > Also, there still should be a bug at b.g.o and git format-patch works
5 > just fine for that. Maybe it's only github now but how many places is a
6 > developer supposed to monitor?
7
8 I'm actually a little torn on this one. I'm fine with keeping the
9 "master" on Gentoo in the sense that this is where the rsync tree gets
10 generated. However, gitbub has a lot of tools like pull requests that
11 could potentially improve workflow, especially for things like proxy
12 maintainers. So, letting those teams work more outside of Gentoo and
13 just push their changes into Gentoo might make sense.
14
15 Perhaps github should be viewed as a widely-shared overlay that gets
16 automatic updates from the main tree in the master branch (or whatever
17 we call it). You can work on a branch in github, get it where you
18 want it to be, and then push it to Gentoo pretty easily. When I don't
19 have access to an upstream repository I often just push a copy to a
20 fork on Github just to make my own life easier.
21
22 Rich