From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:23:36
1 On 06/15/2012 12:14 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > 5. If somebody (perhaps under the umbrella of hardened) wanted to
3 > create a Gentoo project around a fully trusted Gentoo I'd be
4 > completely supportive of that. It would take work. In the spirit of
5 > Gentoo we should allow anybody to build their own signed with their
6 > own key, and perhaps we might have an official Gentoo-certified one
7 > that we would sign and the Foundation would obtain the necessary UEFI
8 > keys. However, that should be viewed as more of a service, and not a
9 > core offering - Gentoo will never depend on a piece of non-free
10 > software or metadata (and I'd probably lump a signing key into that
11 > category). The same tools (minus the private keys) used to generate
12 > any secure offering made by Gentoo should be available for users to
13 > use and sign their own systems.
14
15 If we want to try to get serious on 5, we could try to gather the
16 hardened/security people across distributions and setup the whole chain
17 to be parallel and cut deals with OEM to store this trust-chain keys
18 along with MS.
19
20 lu
25 Luca Barbato