From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pacho@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Drop EAPI=0 requirement for system packages.
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 06:20:48
1 On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:07:39 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > El vie, 19-10-2012 a las 17:43 -0300, Alexis Ballier escribió:
5 > > On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 21:53:18 +0200
6 > > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Seriously, what people is still having problems with handling eapi4?
9 > > > If there are doubts about its usage, they should be asked and resolved
10 > > > instead of ignored keeping ebuilds with older eapis. The only eapi
11 > > > that probably adds no advantage for a lot of ebuilds is eapi3, but
12 > > > that is not the case for eapi4 for example, that includes changes
13 > > > that should be incorporated by most packages in the tree, some of
14 > > > them introduced by it and others inherited from older eapis.
15 > > >
16 > > > What is the advantage of using eapi2 over eapi4 for example? What
17 > > > "hard to learn" change was included in eapi4 over eapi2?
18 > >
19 > > Were you around when eapi2 got out and we had a bunch of packages
20 > > running econf twice because we wanted to quickly get rid of
21 > > built_with_use?
22 > >
23 > > A 5 mins fix is a 5 mins fix, if you include an eapi bump in those 5
24 > > mins then i expect crap to be committed to the tree or nothing at all.
25 >
26 > Of course the idea wouldn't be to deprecate older eapis as soon as newer
27 > one is released but, for example, do you really think forcing people to
28 > use eapi4 now would cause so many problems? We could even create a team
29 > (I would join to that one of course) to help in migration process.
30
31 Well, creating a team dedicated to the cause is a good idea anyway.
32 Without a policy or anything like that, the team could at least work on
33 improving compatibility of eclasses with new EAPIs.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny