From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] allowing configuration of builds?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:06:25
1 On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 02:42:08PM -0700, Pete Gavin wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I was thinking about a way we could allow configuration information to
5 > be passed to the ebuild scripts at build time. This information could be
6 > stored in the package database, so that doing "ebuild
7 > /var/db/pkg/{whatever}/{whatever}.ebuild remerge" would create the exact
8 > same package as before. We could make it so that if you do something
9 > like "ebuild {path-to-ebuild-file} query" it will tell you what
10 > configuration options are available, then you could set those options on
11 > the ebuild command line. That way, say, for example, there are packages
12 > that can use gnome, but don't require it, you could do
13 >
14 > ebuild {ebuild-file} merge without-gnome
15 >
16 > or some such to build it w/o gnome support. The ebuild file will check
17 > for these options and set the appropriate command line switches to
18 > configure. You could even cause these options to apply different
19 > patches. Has anyone else thought about this?
22 Oh, yeah, for example, right now we've got 3 different packages for
23 emacs; emacs-nogui, emacs-x11, & emacs-motif. With options like this, we
24 could make it into one package.
25
26 Pete