From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:49:39
1 On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:31:35 -0500
2 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 03:41 +0100, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
5 > > For completeness, could you post a list of packages that would
6 > > benefit from your proposed changes? It's a little thing called
7 > > scope. :)
8 >
9 > I cannot provide you the full list; for that I would have to rebuild
10 > the full tree with USE=doc enabled, and I enable it only for a small
11 > number of packages. But I can give you the packages that I have
12 > installed on my system right now that install a nontrivial set of
13 > documentation files in /usr/share/doc/$PF, files that are worth
14 > bookmarking and would benefit from a location that doesn't change on
15 > every revision or version bump:
16
17 I understand you use some kind of graphical file manager that opens
18 files for you into some kind of "document viewer". I wouldn't think
19 anyone tab-completing this on a command line would ever have the need to
20 "bookmark" stuff otherwise.
21
23
24 That's rather a long list. I expected a much shorter list of packages
25 that use /usr/share/doc/$PF to store data that is read at run time
26 (which they probably shouldn't do in the first place) so they would
27 benefit from this. I was not asking for a list of packages that install
28 documentation in /usr/share/doc/$PF. If that was the only criterium that
29 mattered, then I wouldn't have asked for a list. :)
32 jer