From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:49:39
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:31:35 -0500
Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 03:41 +0100, Jeroen Roovers wrote: > > For completeness, could you post a list of packages that would > > benefit from your proposed changes? It's a little thing called > > scope. :) > > I cannot provide you the full list; for that I would have to rebuild > the full tree with USE=doc enabled, and I enable it only for a small > number of packages. But I can give you the packages that I have > installed on my system right now that install a nontrivial set of > documentation files in /usr/share/doc/$PF, files that are worth > bookmarking and would benefit from a location that doesn't change on > every revision or version bump:
I understand you use some kind of graphical file manager that opens files for you into some kind of "document viewer". I wouldn't think anyone tab-completing this on a command line would ever have the need to "bookmark" stuff otherwise.
> [...]
That's rather a long list. I expected a much shorter list of packages that use /usr/share/doc/$PF to store data that is read at run time (which they probably shouldn't do in the first place) so they would benefit from this. I was not asking for a list of packages that install documentation in /usr/share/doc/$PF. If that was the only criterium that mattered, then I wouldn't have asked for a list. :) jer