From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: michael@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 16:27:29
1 On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 00:35:14 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/09/2012 12:04 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> This is of course isomorphic to requiring a specific EAPI=4 format,
7 > >> but does allow you to do stupid things like x=`seq 4 4`; eapi $x;
8 > >> if you want.
9 > >
10 > > What advantage does it give us? We still can't change ebuild syntax
11 > > in global scope because bash will barf.
14 > Not in EAPI=5, no, but once all PMs are using the eapi function we
15 > could.
16 >
17 > The function can do any crazy thing you want. Right now, we need to
18 > source the entire ebuild to get at its environment. Before we source
19 > it for real, we just want to know the value of $EAPI. Since eapi()
20 > will be the first function called, it can be our interface to this
21 > variable.
22
23 What if bash starts to parse the script completely and barfs at 'syntax
24 error' before it starts executing stuff?
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny