From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Addition of a new field <remote-id type="debian"> to metadata.xml
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 07:58:50
1 On sob, 2017-06-03 at 03:22 +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 16:51:25 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > ...so if a Gentoo package is split into 40 packages in Debian, are you
6 > > going to list all of them?
7 >
8 > If it would be useful to do so, maybe.
9 >
10 > But its a text file, people are capable of making judgements about
11 > adding 3.2k of text, I hope. ( worst-case, 40 lines of 80 characters each )
12 >
13 > If the text at that size has a use, then, why not?
14 >
15 > As long as that 40-package example is an exceptional case, where it was deemed
16 > useful, not the norm.
17
18 It's not that exceptional in binary distributions where it's normal to
19 split a single source into a few dozen packages (libraries, headers,
20 tools, plugins...):
21
22 https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/systemd
23
24 and that's a small one. I guess we could avoid this if you restricted
25 those remotes to the source package used to build them all.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny