From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: `paludis --info' is not like `emerge --info'
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:16:46
1 Timothy Redaelli <drizzt@g.o> posted
2 200904061132.26894.drizzt@g.o, excerpted below, on Mon, 06 Apr
3 2009 11:32:21 +0200:
4
5 > I only take the idea. I don't care about who has it ;)
6
7 Who has it isn't a particular problem, but in the context you mentioned,
8 whether it has been patented unfortunately is. =:^(
9
10 But thankfully I'm not aware of any Gentoo PM patents, and yes, some way
11 of getting exactly what's applied to the package would be useful. Of
12 course, a simple --pretend yields the package-specific USE flags, but
13 there's no way to see the effect of what's in /etc/portage/env, for
14 instance (and /etc/portage/patches for those still running Ed Catmur's
15 patching scripts stuff, which sure helps when one is grabbing patches off
16 bugs, google, etc, to allow building a particular package with a new gcc,
17 for instance!), without specifically asking.
18
19 Well, most of it can be seen by studying the emerge output logs, but
20 that's package maintainer level, not something bug wranglers should have
21 to do. If there was a nice neat post-env post-patch-script report that
22 summarized everything nicely for the wranglers, it would certainly help
23 -- and could go a long way toward encouraging integration of something
24 similar to those patch scripts directly in portage, as well.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman