From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:33:23
1 On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 01:37, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 18:32, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > Quick poll ...
4 >
5 > If ACCEPT_LICENCES is implemented with anything other than "any" as a
6 > default, then I can see very quickly needing to have a line in the
7 > Documentation (not to mention endless forum postings) saying:
8 >
9 > '...and then edit /etc/make.conf to say ACCEPT_LICENCES="*" ...'
10
11 Except that Gentoo CANNOT tell you that officially, since there are
12 licenses out there which would prohibit it. We could allow all licenses
13 EXCEPT the prohibited ones (such as id Games) by default, but NOWHERE
14 would you EVER find Gentoo officially telling people to put
15 ACCEPT_LICENSES="*" because that would put us in the same legal boat we
16 were in before and make us look like a bunch of selfish jerks who don't
17 play well with the community. Honestly, we need to do soemthing about
18 this now when it isn't a big problem so that further down the orad we
19 won't get bitten by legal actions.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Developer, Gentoo Linux
24 Games Team