From: Ryan Shaw <ryan.shaw@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using default src_compile() in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 02:35:03
1 Arcady wrote:
2
3 > Someone submitted an ebuild that does not define src_compile()
4 > explicitely. The ebuild seems to work fine, but I am not sure whether
5 > this is acceptable. My main concern is whether the default
6 > src_compile() will abort merging a package if configuration or
7 > compilation step fails.
8
9 actually, it won't fail. but i think this a bug in ebuild.sh.
10 the default src_compile() returns 1 if it fails:
11
12 src_compile() {
13 if [ -x ./configure ] ; then
14 econf || return 1
15 emake || return 1
16 fi
17 return
18 }
19
20 but dyn_compile() is not checking the return value. i think
21 it should. until this is fixed, though, it is probably better
22 not to use the default src_compile().
23
24 > Personally, I'd prefer an explicit src_compile in every ebuild, but I
25 > can also see the benefits of reusing code from the default one.
26
27 i think it would be nice to reuse the default one if possible.
28 but if you disagree, then i think the default src_compile() should
29 be changed to do nothing, otherwise the implication is that people
30 should use it.
31
32 ryan