From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC Maintainer-Wanted Bugs/Cleaning]
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:35:21
1 On 30/05/06, Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
2 > Basically, it would be something that allowed you to "browse" the current
3 > tree of submitted ebuilds. This way users that submit something can
4 > categorize it for devs to easily look for ebuilds they may be interested
5 > in, and we can make it so we could easily grab the ebuilds from this hacked
6 > up idea of a tree.
7
8 Hmm something like a tree, containing ebuilds, that people can check
9 out and browse... :)
10
11 > Comments on this idea are appreciated. I wouldn't mind helping write it
12 > and maintain it, but having interest and support in doing something like
13 > this is definately going to be needed :)
14
15 The idea of an unmaintained tree has come up before and been shot down
16 because (paraphrasing) 1. "nobody will check the ebuilds" 2. "nobody
17 will maintain it" 3. "nobody will bother marking stuff stable" and
18 4."it will be a security nightmare".
19
20 Personally I think it would be fun to just throw open the gates and
21 have an open git (or other dscms) "no-guarantees" repository that
22 pulls from the main tree every day, and which anyone with an email
23 address can sign up for and then push their own stuff to. Or maybe
24 some wiki-frontend to a branch of the portage tree. Yeah there would
25 be some security issues and vandalism just like any open content
26 system. Nevertheless, It would be a very interesting experiment in
27 opening ebuild development and maintenance to a larger audience.
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list