From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:28:37
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:52:04 +0200, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 21:42, Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com> wrote: >> having to choose a profile, gives less time for the wavering user > > Why all the fuss? No-one said we're removing the plain "desktop" > profile, we're simply adding *more* options. > > If you want generic DE options pre-enabled, choose the desktop profile. > If you *know* you only need KDE as your DE, choose KDE, > If you *know* you only need GNOME as your DE, choose GNOME, > If you need both or can't decide, either choose Desktop and add the > USE flags yourself or use both profiles together. > > Beats enabling default USE flags without asking you :)
My personal definition of bloat: "to add complexity for no real gain on features". Adding a profile just because it's a cool way to do the same thing that *one* single USE flag can do is a nonsense *to me*. I am already hearing all the new (and old) users asking what the damn difference between the flag and the profile is. It's a cool way to create extra traffic and confusion for absolutely no benefit. But hey, maybe it's just that my old brain can't cope with the coolness :) -- Jesús Guerrero