From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo developer opinions (from Vanilla behaviour thread)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:50:22
1 I haven't seen any nastiness in this thread, but I have to agree to an
2 extent with C. Brewer's comments. If you are using a gentoo.org e-mail
3 address, you are obviously a dev, and are acting on behalf of Gentoo
4 itself - regardless of whether or not you preface you comment with
5 "These opinions are my own, not (necessarily) those of Gentoo." As a
6 developer, your opinions are a large part of what makes up Gentoo, and
7 so _do_ reflect on Gentoo as a whole. It seems being a developer should
8 carry some responsibility with it, without place for a "I only act like
9 a dev when I feel like it" attitude.
10
11 On the other hand, I don't mean to point any fingers in this specific
12 instance - especially not at Jon, who IMHO represents Gentoo well - but
13 there _are_ some devs out there who on occasion through bickering and
14 nasty remarks give _all_ Gentoo devs, and Gentoo itself, a bad name.
15 For most of us, it doesn't make the slightest difference whether or not
16 you add a "these are my own opinions" disclaimer. You're still a Gentoo
17 developer making a comment. A meaningless disclaimer doesn't change
18 that.