From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:04:40
On 11.03.2012 04:53, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote: >> here is the udev 181 unmasking news item. >> >> If all goes well, this will be committed to the tree on 3/14 UTC. > > I guess this might be OK for unstable, but before this goes stable we > really need to improve the docs around this. As far as I can tell > neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about > how to handle mounting /usr. Since having a separate /usr is often > the result of having a more complex configuration (nfs, lvm, mdraid, > etc), instructions explaining how things work and how to handle > variations is pretty important. Perhaps genkernel automagically does > the right thing in some cases, but I know that dracut does not unless > you properly configure it. I doubt either tool will handle more > complex situations without some scripting. >
The Display-If-Installed atom shows the news item to stable users once it's committed. I am not sure at what point does Portage show it when the atom is >= so we might want to evaluate the options. In the long term we really should have a new revision that enables something like Display-If-Installed && Display-If-Unmasked. Regards, Petteri