From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:37:54
1 On 17/11/16 20:16, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In cases where all USE flags combinations are not being tested, it is
5 >> still recommended to test:
6 >> * with all USE flags enabled
7 >> * with all USE flags disabled
8 >> * the default USE flag settings
11 > I imagine that in practice only the last of these really tends to get tested.
12 >
13 >> * A leaf package such as {{package|kde-apps/kcalc}} may not require any
14 >> runtime testing at all
15 >
16 > I'm not really a big fan of this, but if we REALLY didn't want to do
17 > any runtime testing on a package then we should have some way to tag
18 > the package as such, and then have some way to do automated
19 > build-test-only stabilization. If you aren't doing runtime testing
20 > then manual stabilization adds zero value.
21
22 How much value do you think we gain from runtime testing a package like
23 kcalc as part of the stabilisation process, considering that it already
24 sat in ~arch for at least 30 days?
25
26 Also, based on conversations with various arch team members, my
27 understanding is that a lot of stabilisations that happen right now are
28 already build-only.
31 > Overall though the writeup was good and maybe it will trigger some
32 > discussion. I tend to think that if we want to do things like testing
33 > permutations and such then automated build-only tools might be the way
34 > to address this. Manual effort should be focused on things like
35 > runtime testing where it adds the most value. This also strikes me as
36 > the sort of thing that could probably be assigned out to volunteers
37 > who do not have commit access.
38
39 There's a few tools for this out there already. I've personally been
40 working to update app-portage/tatt for git - see
41 https://asciinema.org/a/cqsy983t9jimszvypcjr3zg5m for a demo.
44 > It really seems like the sort of thing that could be managed by
45 > something other than bugzilla. Some tool finds out about packages
46 > that ought to be stabilized (probably via multiple methods), then it
47 > triggers the automated build tests/etc that do a lot of the low-level
48 > QA, and if the package looks good it gets queued for runtime testing.
49 > Then volunteers report in on status and when whatever criteria we
50 > establish is met then the tool stabilizes the package, probably in a
51 > dependency-aware fashion. Obviously this would require some care for
52 > coordinated packages like xorg/DEs/etc, and it might not be the
53 > preferred approach for many system packages.
56 We're working on a tool like this in #gentoo-grumpy - new contributors
57 welcome!