From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT noise (Was: Profile masking and profiles package.mask)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:54:11
1 On Monday 02 October 2006 14:34, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Diego, a few people from the portage team have said that they dislike
3 > using version masks in the packages file.  I agree with them completely.
4 I've already seen I'm in a minority, by liking the current behaviour.
5
6 > Unfortunately, as with many
7 > things in the portage world, we can't just turn off "old" functionality
8 > over night due to the amount of system that we would break.  This means
9 > there needs to be a transition period.
10 Of course, and that also needs to be properly documented and planned, or we'll
11 be facing the same issues in a while again.
12
13 I tried to bring the discussion about this a) because I prefer the current
14 behaviour b) because at least it's known what's going on.
15 Seems like I'm the only one liking the current behaviour, so I gladly shut up,
16 just wanted to be sure if this was the case (and having something to quote if
17 something breaks when the behaviour is switched ;) happens too often not to
18 consider this, too).
21 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
22 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE