From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:57:11
1 On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > * Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> schrieb:
3 >
4 >> What you are saying makes sense for desktop users since they will
5 >> likely already have consolekit/policykit/nm-applet installed, and
6 >> hence using NetworkManager for all network management makes sense.
7 >
8 > Actually, I've got several Gentoo-based desktop systems, none of
9 > them uses any these packages.
10 >
11 >> From what I can see, we have three options:
12 >> (a) Make our existing openrc network code + openrc configuration files
13 >> work with systemd, and move to systemd by default
14 >> (b) Make systemd work with openrc+NM configuration files[1], make NM
15 >> work w/o PK/CK[2], add command line tools to NM, and move to systemd
16 >> by default.
17 >> (c) Support systemd as an alternative init system for use by desktop users.
18 >
19 >  (d) Fix systemd to get rid of dependencies to dbus, etc.
23 (e) Get our network scripts compatible with netcf [1], which is the
24 way of the future for letting applications modify the network
25 configuration of the system.
26
27 [1] https://fedorahosted.org/netcf/
31 Doug Goldstein