From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Improve policy of stabilizations
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:19:58
1 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 >
3 > Is it stated in any documentation that 30 days is a policy?
6 Not that I'm aware of - it is a guideline as you indicate. However,
7 don't expect anybody to actually take action on a STABLEREQ if there
8 isn't some kind of rationale for going stable so quickly.
9
10 The whole point of stable is that they provide some sanity to the
11 release process - if upstream releases a new version every other week
12 then perhaps we should either:
13
14 1. Question whether it should go stable at all.
15 2. Pick a version once in a while and target it for stabilization,
16 backporting fixes as needed.
17
18 We don't need to be Debian stable, but if the only reason for
19 stabilizing a package is that upstream has already moved on, then I
20 think we're making a mistake. In fact, if upstream abandoned a release
21 after only two weeks that would be a good reason NOT to stabilize it.
22
23 End users can always run ~arch if they need to - at least this way they
24 know in advance what they're getting into.