From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Improve policy of stabilizations
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:19:58
Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> > Is it stated in any documentation that 30 days is a policy? >
Not that I'm aware of - it is a guideline as you indicate. However, don't expect anybody to actually take action on a STABLEREQ if there isn't some kind of rationale for going stable so quickly. The whole point of stable is that they provide some sanity to the release process - if upstream releases a new version every other week then perhaps we should either: 1. Question whether it should go stable at all. 2. Pick a version once in a while and target it for stabilization, backporting fixes as needed. We don't need to be Debian stable, but if the only reason for stabilizing a package is that upstream has already moved on, then I think we're making a mistake. In fact, if upstream abandoned a release after only two weeks that would be a good reason NOT to stabilize it. End users can always run ~arch if they need to - at least this way they know in advance what they're getting into.