From: Yury German <blueknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Security <security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 01:20:17
1 Rick a very good message (and well thought out).
2
3 On 3/13/17 4:33 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > The two areas that I see as possibly pushing security towards being a
7 > special project are:
8 > 1. Masking or otherwise directly touching packages without waiting
9 > for the maintainer if the timeline passes.
10
11 Security team does not like doing this since we do not know the internal
12 workings of packages. But sometimes it is very much needed, remember
13 "heartblead?". The notification came to our points of contact (Alex
14 (a3li) and Tobias (keytoaster)), a private security bug was filed with
15 normal rating since the release was within our time-lines. Then in a few
16 hours the security team decided to release it. Well I remember all hell
17 breaking loose, and at that point direct involvement was involved.
18
19 For that reason for something like this I think we need a GLEP for. Not
20 to use every day, but lets call it "Emergency Power" that shall NOT be
21 abused.
22
23 > 2. Being able to represent Gentoo on special security mailing lists
24 > that have tight distribution. (If somebody betrays this trust Gentoo
25 > could find itself cut off from all such lists, so Gentoo should use
26 > care here.)
27
28 This is very important. Pre-Notification is on a case by case basis.
29 While we can define point of contacts, it is also important as a
30 reputation for Gentoo.
31
32 Lets say we want to become a CNA, just like other distributions
33 (Debian, Red Hat, SUSE, Ubuntu) we need a person that would be
34 responsible for coordinating the information and the appropriate
35 paperwork and coordinate with Council or Foundation as needed. This can
36 not be a free for all.
39 > I'll finally note that there is also a possible compromise. We might
40 > make security somewhat special, but decide that its powers aren't that
41 > important and so let it self-govern without forced Council
42 > interaction. Even so we should probably create some avenue for appeal
43 > so that the next time an argument comes up over whether long-term
44 > masks vs overlays are the right solution people feel like they had
45 > input into the decision.
46
47 I think that it is not a power thing but more of a responsibility and
48 accountability that is being defined. There is nothing about Governance
49 by the council when I read the GLEP. The only thing is the confirmation
50 by the Council since they are Privy to a lot more information then all
51 the isolated Teams are, and can prevent problems ahead of time.
52
53 The GLEP is a draft also and I have already proposed some changes to
54 Kristian about some wording.
55
56 The idea here is that it is not someone taking away power, but just
57 continuing what we have been doing in Security for years and just
58 formulating some of the processes by the GLEP. We have always had leads
59 that received notifications, communicated on behalf of the team, settled
60 problems, etc.
61
62 We have always discussed and provided opinions on changes and no one was
63 dictated something before discussion (Unless Security Policy specific).