From: Steven Lucy <slucy@××××××××.edu>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FW: rsync etiquette follow-up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:30:47
1 On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:56:37PM +0100, Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk> said
2 > I know that I could run an rsync mirror just for internal use - and that
3 > would help a lot. Running a distfiles mirror is a lot less practical. It
4 > would be much better if there was a way to share '/usr/portage' across
5 > multiple machines. You can't do this safely via NFS. If two machines try
6 > to download the same distfile at the same time, they interfere with each
7 > other.
8 > [...]
9 > (As an aside, it'd be great to see
10 > /usr/portage moved into /var. One of my few true disappointments with
11 > Gentoo is having to have /usr mounted read-write a lot of the time)
12
13 you can set DISTDIR in /etc/make.conf to point to whatever you want. mine
14 points to /var/distfiles. also, if you shared /usr/portage (and
15 /var/distfiles, but not /var/db, etc.) via NFS and always emerged new
16 packages on one machine first (so only it would do the fetching), then
17 initiated the emerges on the other machine they would find the tarball and
18 skip right to the unpack/compile stages. that's what i would do.
19
20 Steven
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list