From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Volker Dierks <v.dierks@××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New adduser and deluser features suggestions
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:19:41
1 Volker Dierks <v.dierks@××××××××××××××.net>, on Wed Jul 17, 2002 [02:15:45 PM] said:
2 > Christian Axelsson wrote:
3 > >This is the features I would like to see in a new adduser (and deluser)
4 > >package:
5 > <SNIP>
6 > hmm, sorry. I've no comments to the features but I've a problem
7 > to add my personal useraccount to a gentoo system. I've posted
8 > the question to the gentoo-user maillinglist but got no answer.
9 > Perhaps someone on the dev list can give me a answer. My normal
10 > useraccount uses a dot (f. e. f.bar).
11 > useradd -c "Foo Bar" -d /home/f.bar -u 500 -g 200 -s /bin/bash f.bar
12 > useradd: invalid user name 'f.bar'
13 >
14 > This is a example. My real username has 8 characters (with the
15 > dot). Whitout the dot, useradd works fine.
16 >
17 > Does anyone know where I must drive the screw? /etc/login.defs
18 > isn't it. Are the pam modules denying a dot?
19 >
20 > Thanks, Volker
21
22 Hi;
23
24 Well, the *bsd man page on passwd(5) has this to say:
25
26 ...
27 The login name must never begin with a hyphen (`-'); also,
28 it is strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters nor
29 dots (`.') be part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers.
30 ...
31
32 You can always use things like vipw to force the issue;
33 sorry I doubt there is another way without simply hacking
34 useradd...
35
36 Paul
37 set@×××××.com