From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo Accessibility <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: phasing out app-accessibility/festival
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:32:58
1 On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 23:25 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > app-accessibility/festival has not done a release upstream in some time.
8
9 Does not look like they have declared it dead however.
10
11 > We currently have several bugs against this package, including one
12 > security bug.
13
14 I attached a patch to the security bug for you guys.
15
16 > Since a lot of blind people are now using espeak as their software
17 > speech synthesizer, and the new version of emacspeak (version 26, which
18 > will be in portage pretty soon) can support espeak, I would like to know
19 > this.
20 >
21 > Once emacspeak 26 is in the tree, I would like to move festival out of
22 > accessibility, or remove it from the tree.
23
24 One thing to note here is that espeak is only marked stable on amd64
25 while festival is marked stable on mips ppc amd64 ppc64 sparc
26 ia64 alpha hppa x86. Removing it from the tree does not seem like
27 an ideal alternative any time soon.
28
29 > If there is a reason to keep festival in the tree,
30 > can someone please contact me and take over the package?
31
32 I don't want to take it over. But I've used festival and friends often
33 in the past for lazy reading days. I know it's also used supported
34 by asterisk and a few other programs.
38 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list