From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] punt PMS (was: Sets in the tree)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:31:35
1 On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:19:40 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 08/14/2013 10:56 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > > If you want PMS to go away, and call portage the one-and-true PM for
5 > > Gentoo, then it's probably something for the Council to decide.
8 > I think that would make sense. We don't have enough resources for such
9 > fun and overcoming PMS burdens has been a major concern for everyone
10 > who is looking to improve basic functionality.
11
12 What PMS burdens? Give one example of a feature that the Council has
13 approved that was abandoned because of PMS.
14
15 > In the end, people rather go for eclass solutions or just give up.
16 > That has brought us to the current discussion, to base.eclass
17
18 base.eclass was a legacy from the old pre-natively-supported
19 implementation of eclasses. Unfortunately for reasons entirely
20 unrelated to PMS, a few developers haven't bothered moving away from
21 it.
22
23 > and to the multilib eclasses with a very painful way of migration.
24 > Mind that I am an author of one of those eclasses as well, so I'm not
25 > generally objecting. But it's a fact that portage multilib was held
26 > back basically by useless PMS politics, so that we can support
27 > alternative PMs like paludis.
28
29 No, it was held back because no-one was able to explain what was
30 changed, and because there was no agreement between developers that
31 whatever it was that was changed was the right way to do it. The
32 Council hasn't approved the use of Portage multilib.
33
34 > And that's not the only thing that is annoying about PMS and the
35 > politics behind it.
36 >
37 > Gentoo has become very slow in terms of decision making and progress.
38 > GLEPs to improve security are "not implemented" for _years_ and people
39 > have no idea whether we need a PMS section for that or not. It wasn't
40 > really discussed and not one bothers anymore.
41
42 Again, nothing to do with PMS. Getting a feature that has Council
43 approval into PMS typically takes a day or two. The delays on the
44 security GLEPs are down to Portage and to git migration, not PMS.
45
46 PMS has *helped* with progress, not slowed it down: it has allowed us
47 to experiment with new features in other, quicker-to-develop package
48 managers before having to spend the effort implementing them in
49 Portage. Have a look at features added in EAPIs 1 and later: at a guess
50 half of them were the direct result of testing in other package
51 managers.
54 Ciaran McCreesh