From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to drop "pcre" from default enabled USE flags in profiles
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:19:57
1 El mié, 06-06-2012 a las 14:53 -0400, Mike Frysinger escribió:
2 > On Wednesday 06 June 2012 14:06:47 Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > The problem is that grep keeps linked against libpcre and it can cause
4 > > problems like pointed in referred bug report, and it's really risky as
5 > > people can have their portage completely broken for example when libpcre
6 > > is downgraded for some reason. That doesn't sound like a good *default*
7 > > behavior for me
8 >
9 > there are plenty of core tools that can be broken by other packages forcing
10 > broken behavior like library downgrades.
11
12 I know that, but I am simply trying to get safer values that could help
13 to minimize the risk a bit and, since enabling pcre system wide didn't
14 look (and still don't look) really needed to me, I asked to stop
15 enabling it to prevent this exact risk that looks major enough to me
16
17 > and FEATURES=preserve-libs would
18 > gracefully handle this.
19 >
20 > off the top of my head, lib dependencies that can bring a system down:
21 > - bash links against ncurses & readline
22 > - sed links against acl
23 > - coreutils links against acl/libcap/selinux/gmp
24 > - grep links against pcre
25 > (with at least USE=acl being a profile default)
26 >
27 > so highlighting the grep/pcre dep doesn't seem like it accomplishes much
28 > -mike
29
30 I am not trying to reach the safest and unbreakable update path that
31 won't ever fail as explained at top ;)