From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:49:58
1 I have to add my nickel's worth here. Mike, Caleb, Stewart and another
2 respondent - nailed the crux of the issue. Gentoo allows us choice - if we
3 want an all free distro we can do it with Gentoo; if we want to use
4 non-free/commerical software we can do it with Gentoo. What's happening here
5 is that those who feel "all free or nothing" want to impose their beliefs and
6 philosophy on anyone - all their blather about choice is really just "I
7 believe this and am going to make the rest of the world conform to my choice."
8
9 I've served my time as a Windows admin/maintainer/user/whatever and I hope I
10 never go back there. I want as much or more than these free only zealots to
11 see OpenSource, Gentoo etc. succede in replacing MS wherever possible and we
12 are making excellent strides. Brazil is for it, towns in Germany, and
13 Britian are wanting to go to OpenSource software. And Gentoo can be part of
14 that. However, if we become like Debian and go free only Gentoo will be
15 considered a fanatics distro and written off - and it will become a niche
16 distro that appeals to a small group.
17
18 Whether people like it or not they have to consider reality. The reality is
19 that many of us such as these countries moving to OpenSource and many of us
20 users have a job to do - we don't do it we don't get paid. So we use the
21 best tools for the job. If there is something free that is obviously the
22 first consideration - AS LONG as it does the job well enough. If not we use
23 whatever suits the needs. Crossover and VMWare are two excellent examples of
24 commerical software that does what no free software does - allow you to run
25 MS programs on Linux. No, don't tell me about Wine - it doesn't run much of
26 the MS software. So if we have a need to run MS apps (and yes, that is part
27 of the reality) do we tell our customers "I believe in only free so I will
28 use Wine but it won't really work for what you want to do" or do we use what
29 works in the form of Crossover or VMWare. If I don't use what works best I
30 am not servicing my customer properly and I will lose him.
31
32 Gentoo is the best distro out there - bar none. Gentoo has addressed the
33 biggest bugaboo of a distro and overcome it. Portage provides us a clean
34 easy way to keep updated and track what we have done. No more infinite loops
35 looking for RPM dependencies and hoping you got the right version. This
36 alone makes Gentoo better but add to this an attitude that Gentoo should help
37 us to our job and allow us to run systems as we want them, whether is only
38 free software or a mix, and not force a political philosophy down our throats
39 makes Gentoo the very best.
40
41 Leave Gentoo as it is. If someone feels so strongly they just can not even
42 look at a distro that allows non-free software there is always Debian.
43
44 Like Mike I would have to dump Gentoo if they insist on joinng the Debian
45 camp but I hope that Gentoo stays true to it's philosophy of given us easy to
46 use distro which allows choice so both free and non-free can have systems
47 that satisfy them.
48