From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stability of /sys api
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 08:44:30
1 On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 03:53:53AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > After some Google-searching, I think I've figured out how to implement
3 > automounting under mdev. I'd like to put in as much sanity-checking
4 > into the script as possible. Right now I have 1 USB stick plugged in as
5 > /dev/sdb. Th hard drive is /dev/sda. The "removable" data is readable
6 > like so...
7 >
8 > cat /sys/block/sda/removable
9 > 0
10 >
11 > cat /sys/block/sdb/removable
12 > 1
13 >
14 > My question... is this API stable or deprecated? I.e. can I count on
15 > it being around for a while? I figure this question is a developer type
16 > question rather than ordinary user type.
17
18 Api is stable although last I dealt with that crap it was reliant on
19 chipsets/controllers not sucking and misreporting (mmc in particular
20 comes to mind, although perhaps the hardware sucks less these days).
21
22 Suggest you start studying udev source in addition since your
23 questions of that sort are likely to be answered there. Aka, most
24 likely wind up asking udev upstream (likely gregkh assuming he hasn't
25 killfile'd everyone from that thread).
26
27 Now the unfun part; this isn't really the right place to be asking. I
28 get you're doing this w/ a gentoo intent, but you're dancing that line
29 mightily fine. People asking "can I safely use nested context
30 managers in python2.6" even if it's orientated towards a potential
31 gentoo bit (say the ephemeral gentoo stats project), typically will be
32 told "dunno. Ask the people who wrote the damn thing".
33
34 Point there is that the ml shouldn't be used as tech help for the guts
35 of "I don't want udev and am trying to replace it with mdev";
36 pkgcore nor paludis internal questions don't come here (format does
37 since this is the appropriate venue) under the same logic. Forums
38 come to mind, or appropriate upstreams as mentioned.
39
40 Barring that, use the source luke, and start reading the lkml. If
41 you're trying to do this, you'll likely need to track discussions
42 there.
43
44 Not trying to be a dick mind you, and perhaps others view othewise,
45 but this isn't the place for it nor do I suspect people care to see
46 more of this particular war play out on our ml.
47
48 ~harring